Monday, July 27, 2009

How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

It's customary to leave at least 15-20% tip when one dines out (though if I take just tea for $0.90 I would leave 1 dollar); what about other services?



When I go to take care of myself I always feel unconfident leaving tips: I'm not sure that's enough.



Let's say when one blowdries my hair - it's $20-25 at the checkout but there are some people: shampoo girl, hair-dresser. What's the minimum not to look greedy and not to overspend? The thing is once you gave him some money (e.g.$7) you can't go less: you appreciated his job and wanna the same effect. But in the meanwhile I see some women that give 1-2 dollars and they smile - so it must be fine



Recently I was told not to tip the owner of the saloon - coz he gets the full amount. How to deal with it if I always used to tip'em?



The same situation with cab/car service. In case you order a cab and it's sooo late - would u tip the driver anyway?



Does any percentage exist?



Thank you



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Listen..Tips are given by a level of service..if you feel they have gave you good service..give them what you feel is worth it..percents dont work...If it was good and your happy and satisfied..Go with what you feel it was worth..if your left unsatisfied...than say Thank you.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Nothing, nothing and nothing. hahahahahahahaha. I figure I will never see them again, so I don't care.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

DEPENDING ON THE CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU RECEIVE, THAT'S WHAT I BASE MY TIPS ON



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

I never leave tips. I will never seem them again, so I say screw it. I don't want to lose the extra money anyway.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

I think it's insulting to tip the people at the salon $1 or $2. They smile simply because they are professional %26amp; don't want to throw a fit in front of other customers. As for the cab drivers, I tip according to the service. For example if I have many bags like groceries, %26amp; the driver does not get out of his cab to as much as open the trunk for my things or to even assist me to get them to my door, I don't tip.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

i tip like $20.00 when i do highlights color and blow dry that takes about 2 hours so what the hell that person that's doing my hair always does a good job so sometimes i tip her 20-25 dollars



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

I usually give 20% in restaurants, and the gal that does my hair, I will give 10-20 bucks depending what she does.



I will admit I do Tip even when the service has been bad, not knowing their circumstances I feel like they are out there trying to make a living, even though they do not understand etiquette.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

The percentage is meant to be a guide, not a commandment. Hence, tip according to the service you received. If it was outstanding, tip accordingly. If it was bad, tip accordingly.



If it's a place you were satisfied with and want to go back to again, then I'd leave them a nice tip. They remember who takes care of them and you're likely to get better service more consistently each time.



If you do happen to get bad service, try to understand why. It's possible that a waitperson may be on the ball but the cook may be off the ball. Or vice versa. Usually the waitpersons are required to share a portion of their tips with the cook. So even if you get lousy table service, but the food was great, remember that everyone has bad days now and then...and you still want the cook to be rewarded for the good food.



Whatever you do, don't withhold a tip (leave them nothing) without telling them why. They may truly be unaware that you were dissatisfied. In addition to apologizing profusely, they may offer to make it right with you somehow, such as comp'ing you the meal, or giving you a coupon for a free meal the next time, etc. Leaving no tip and not telling them why is tacky (even if you think they should know why).



Personally, if it's a place I frequent, I'd still leave a decent tip even if I happened to get bad service one time. It's probably just a fluke occurrence. However, if I go back a week or two later and the service is bad again, then I'd re-evaluate the situation. And I would tell them specifically what was wrong.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Nothing man. they will start thinking it's a right and be mean to those customers who don't tip.



I am against giving tips in general because it is not far from corruption and favoritism.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

no, i don't tip . not because i don't want to part with my money. because i respect their profession. giving tips is like degrading their service. i do go to the same parlour most of the times. they do treat me well. inspite of knowing that i don't tip them i treat them as my friends. sometimes i carry some sweets or snacks %26amp; share with them. on my birthday or any festival days i buy small gifts as i buy for my friends.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

It depends.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

I go to a beauty school and I over tip. That's all the students make and they do a great job.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Service personell are tipped, not professionals. I will tip the shampoo technician but not the hairdresser. For waitstaff, a minimum of a dollar if you are just getting coffee. For a full meal, lousy service...nothing. good service, 20% or up if the person is exceptional. Counter servers, nothing. If you have to carry it to the table, don't tip.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

You are correct that you don't tip the owner. I wouldn't say anything about it-no need to make a formal announcement. I would just stop tipping him.



Here's how I tip:



There are too many people in a salon to tip individually. As you said there's the shampoo girl, the blow dry girl, the stylist, maybe a manicurist, etc. I usually give the amount to the stylist and ask her to share it with the others. Since my salon is small, I don't worry that she'll keep it all to herself (number 1, because I know her and number 2, I know the others can hear me telling her to share). If you are spending $20-25 at the salon, I'd give them maybe $5.



If I hired a car service and they were very late, of course I wouldn't tip the driver.



For pizza delivery: $1 per pie



In a buffet restaurant (where the server only brings drinks, but you serve yourself): $1 per person at the table, but I sometimes throw in an extra $1 if the person was particularly nice. If you ask for a lot of extras, then of course tip more.



In a regular full service restaurant: I usually double the tax, then add or subtract depending on the service. For example, if the tax came to $3, I'd double it to $6 for average service. If it was great, I might go up to $8 or $9. For truly awful service, of course, tip nothing.



It might just be a quirk of my own, but I tend to tip more at smaller "mom %26amp; pop" type restaurants. I just kinda like supporting those businesses over the larger chain style places.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

About 10%.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Tipping is such a *feudal* practice.



:-)



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

As far as tips go, 14% is the norm for most services. In my area (Nova Scotia, Canada), we have a 14% tax added on to most things so I just tip whatever the tax adds up to.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

Good Housekeeping addressed this once but alas I can't remember the %. Perhaps you can go to their web site and ask.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

It depends, I leave 15 - 2o% of charged amount depending on the service that was extended to me.



How much do you leave for a tip: manicure/hair/cab etc.?

i really cant understand why we have to give tips and feel bad if we dont. i think everyone get paid for the job they are doing ( i hope) so why should we give tips ?whats thereason behind all this ? if we give tips cuz the ppl (hairdresser, waiter etc) gave us a good service, so why dont the salesgirls, mechanic etc get no tips ? doesnt mean that they dont give good service ? dont get me wrong i myself give tips but i still dont see the reason. i only do it cuz i was tought that way but if im not served right im not ashamed to leave no tips at all.



few weeks ago i went to one hairdresser and she charged me the world just to trim my hair. she didnt even cut an inch. before i walked out i left a tip. when i was outside i wanted to cry and kick myself for giving her the tips

No comments:

Post a Comment